Sunday, September 14, 2008

How Did This Happen?!?

We had just enjoyed a leisurely Sunday dinner at Shelly's, and were having a great visit when suddenly, Shelly jumped up, ran out of the room, and came back with her new super mega-monster Apple laptop. Then, she looked at me--and used the "B" word. I could not believe what just passed through her lips--this from the little girl I had taught to never speak guile, obscenity, or blasphemy. I was horrified! She had the audacity to look me in the eye and inform me that I was going to start a------ B -B -B -BLOG!!!! (I have a hard time even writing the word.) While I was in a stupor of shock, and before I had time to protest, her nimble fingers moved over the keyboard, and with a few clicks of the mouse, there it was, my own piece of cyberspace--another responsibility, something else that would demand maintenance, effort, energy, thought and time.-------Just what I needed.

So here I sit face to face with this blank blog which is waiting to be filled. I struggle to put something intelligent out there that all the world will see. I guess the best thing I can do is introduce myself:

I am Zola, married for 38 years to the love of my life, Richard. I am a mom to 5 of the best people born on this planet (Lisa, Shelly, Mindy, Natalee & Rick), and mother-in-law to 5 more of the best people on the planet (Ossil, Dennis, Ben, Gary & Elizabeth). I boastfully and unabashedly state that I am grandmother to 17 of the most perfect, beautiful, smart, and marvelous grandchildren in this world (Alex, Nathan, Derek, Dylan, Hannah, Lorin, Andreya, Christyne, Joshua, Ethan, Avery, Caleb, Ayden, Luke, Brynn, Zach & Jon). Let it be known that I love all these dear ones to pieces, and that I am happiest when I am with my precious family.

Along with my family, the most important thing in my life is my knowledge and testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and of the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is an integral part of my life, it affects my decisions, my opinions, my values, my thinking, and the way I see the world around me. It gives my life purpose and meaning, and it helps me over life's stumbling blocks. In short, it has given me a happy, meaningful, and peaceful life here, and I know I can look forward to eternal joy in the hereafter. What more could anyone want?

I love to teach. Whether it is math or a gospel topic, or whether I am in front of a classroom of students, or teaching one-on-one, my heart soars when I look into the faces of students and see the light dawn--when I witness that glorious transfer of truth. For me there is no higher high.

Some of my other highs are: studying and discussing gospel topics, traveling, public speaking, paper crafting (as in stamping, card making, and scrap booking), reading, socializing with friends, people watching, learning, and singing in a choir.

That's all I can think of at this point. I am sure more of my idiosyncrasies, character traits, likes and dislikes will be revealed in future posts.-----I CAN NOT BELIEVE I'M DOING THIS!
HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?

2 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

No, your not proud of your family at all, are you?

I am so proud of you for letting me force you into the blogoshpere. You are so brave. I have always been the kid with the coolest, hippest mom. Still am.

You're off to a great start. Keep it up.

Love ya, mom!

Diana said...

Zola! I'm so glad you've now joined us. I was going to wait until I had a name for my blog as creative as yours... I'm still a little jealous! I'll add you to my blog roll so I can check on you now and again! Welcome to blogging!