"Ja, und?" is a common German phrase and literally translated means "Yes---and?" It is used on those occasions when one does not understand what all the fuss is about. Well, Saturday night was one of those occasions.
We had the opportunity to attend a posh affair. All-in-all, it was a very nice evening. The food was wonderful and the hosts were warm and attentive; and to show just how much they wanted us to feel pampered, they provided the guests with a caviar bar. There it was, a rainbow of delectable delicacies. Our choices were: Salmon Roe, American Black, or Ginger. It was difficult to choose. "Should I try the black or the pink or the yellow? Hmmmm." I thought it would be best to taste all of them so I could compare their delicate flavors. I tried a bit of the Ginger first--hmmm--"has a sort of salty-fishy flavor". Next I tried the Salmon Roe "It has a ---distinctive fishy-salty taste. Maybe the American Black will have a spicy Cajun kick to it or something." But, alas, it too had sort of a----salty-fishy flavor. I am told that caviar is an acquired taste, and it is obvious that I certainly have not acquired it. I understand that those elite connoisseurs who enjoy caviar say it has an "intense explosion of complex flavors", and that they "savor the luxurious texture and indescribably rich taste of the caviar berries." Well, good for them. However, I didn't experience any intense explosion of flavor or luxurious texture. This experience left me wondering, "What is all the fuss about?" As the Germans would say----Ja, und?
4 comments:
The only caviar I've had is the kind on sushi. It also tastes fishy and salty. I guess it doesn't have the variation that ice cream does.
Mom, you should have eaten as much as possible, simply because it is expensive! Maybe when you pay the big bucks, you suddenly notice how delicious it is. It is kinda of like the Emperor's new clothes, and you are the boy who noticed he was buck naked.
mom
Ive had cavier before and It has everything to do with how you hold you mouth. You have to hold it the rich way.
My finger was hurting so I taped it to another finger. I left it there for a couple of days and now I feel fine. I do a lot with my hands and I think I just sprained it. I feel fine.
Post a Comment