Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This Is Not Easy

OK, so I've had time to think about my quirks. Now you have to understand this is NOT an easy thing for me to reveal myself to the world, (however it was easy to come up with quirks, but I'm only required to reveal 6). So here goes:

1. I DETEST alarm clocks. I know, I know you are probably thinking, "Duh, everyone hates alarm clocks." But I REALLY hate them. Yes, I have had one on my nightstand most of my life, but I NEVER use it. You see, as a kid, I never wanted to play Hide-N-Seek because I didn't like people jumping out at me from shadows and scaring me. I view the alarm clock as a nasty little varmint that is crouching in the dark--waiting until the moment that I am enjoying my most peaceful and relaxing sleep, and then suddenly out of nowhere screams in my ear and scares the bejeebers out of me. On the very few occasions that my hubby talked me into setting my alarm, I did not sleep, but woke up every few minutes to glare at the clock so it couldn't surprise me, and finally, in exasperation, I turned it off. I always wake up at the crack of dawn anyway. (I taught early-morning seminary for 5 years and never used an alarm clock.) In my humble opinion, they are foul little contraptions designed for torture.

2. I CANNOT go to bed with a messy kitchen. The thoughts of waking up in the morning to a sink full of dirty dishes depresses me beyond reason. No matter how late or how tired I am, I have to do the dishes, scrub the sink, and clean off the counter tops. The kitchen floor?--not so much, I don't care how bad it is, I can always sweep in the morning, but the upper surfaces HAVE to be clean.

3. I DO NOT LIKE handwriting. The very act of handwriting (cursive) is torture to me, both physically and emotionally. I think it is the old family curse--the curse of bad handwriting. All of my life I have dreamt of being able to produce beautiful swirly letters and numbers, but try as I may, all I can come up with is chicken scratch. My letters are all different sizes and go off in all different directions, and, pathetically, I cannot even read my own handwriting. So I have resorted to printing everything--even my official signature.

The next three quirkies are the same as Shelly's. Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree--and I had them first.--But the crossing of the toes thingy-I don't have any idea where she got that one, or those long toes!

4. I have an aversion to making phone calls. Perhaps it's because I feel guilty for bothering people.

5. That earring thingy. Yes, I too have to have earrings to match my necklace, but once in a while I can bite the bullet and put on a pair that is different, but it is tough.

6. The sleeping with a foot outside the covers thingy. It acts as sort of a wick that cools me down.

Well, there they are, six of my quirkies. Whew! I'm glad that's over. I guess that wasn't so difficult after all.
OOPS!.......ARGH!......Excuse me........I think I have to throw up!

2 comments:

Natalee said...

Mom I am so excited you have a blog. You've become one of us. I love it. I totally agree with you on the alarm clock. I haqven't used one in years and when we moved I just tossed mine. I also wake up many times before it goes off in anticipation. Gary on the other hand cannot function without his alarm clock. He sets it to go off an hour before he needs to get up and then hits the snooze button over and over and over again.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Too funny mom. I have a great alarm cock. It starts off very quietly, so it is barely noticible, then eventually gets louder and louder. I am such a light sleeper and early riser, I usually get up and turn it off before Dennis hears anything. It doesn't jar you out of bed, but gently reminds you to come back to the world of the living. I can live with that.

I wish I had the clean kitchen quirk, but it looks like I inherited several others from you instead?

Good blogging mom. I'm so proud.