Monday, January 12, 2009

My Window on the World

No more prison bars, no more fish bowl. Now my window to the world looks like this.

Our original front door was your typical metal door with a half-circle window near the top. It was sturdy, but had no style. My hubby and I found this beauty at--you guessed it-- a garage sale. I fell in love with it instantly, its gorgeous solid mahogany called out to me and I had to have it. So we purchased it, took our magnificant door home and had it hung. But the longer we lived with it, the more serious it's one flaw became. Our lovely door had a not-so-lovely, outdated window. The window was clear glass, with wooden dowels mounted in front, so when I looked out onto the world, I felt like a prisoner behind bars. Even worse, because it was at eye level, the world could look in and see us in all our glory, like fish in a bowl--and that was creepy.

Shelly heard my complaint, and observed my angst, and on the QT engaged Kelly, a mutual friend and genius at stained glass, to make a window for my door. The talented artist went to work, and VOILA!--a beeeutiful window-- which was presented to me for my birthday.

Months went by with the window safely wrapped in bubble wrap and tucked in a drawer while I searched for a skilled craftsman to install it. Finally, I found Robert, another artistic genius who did his magic, and now it looks like the door was built to show off the window. At last I have a window that is worthy of my gorgeous mahogany door.

Now when I look out, instead of feeling like a prisoner, I can see the world through rose-colored, green-colored and yellow-colored glasses. It is such fun! Best of all, the creepy feeling of being on display is gone.

My undying gratitude to you Shelly, Kelly, and Robert! Thank you for my new window on the world.

4 comments:

EMac said...

That window looks so nice. I makes the door seem so unique! I love it!

Natalee said...

what is this? A post? I love the window mom. I is so beautiful.

Mindy said...

You never get a second chance to make a first impression-Ya i made that up:) That looks really good.
It's good to see that you are up and running again.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Love it. So glad you finally put it in! The colors look great shining in your house. Too bad we can't peek at you and dad scurrying through the dining room any more.