Friday, February 6, 2009

"Car Fights"-- Remedy for a Bad Day

Beginning of a Bad Day:
Yesterday I was tending Shelly's youngest while she and Dylan made the long trek to Loma Linda to the doctor. At the same time, Caleb had the opportunity to go the McCallum Theater on a very much anticpated field trip with his kindergarten class. There they saw some sort of production about a frog princess. When I picked him up from school I couldn't wait to ask him all about it. When I did, his reply surprised me, he said, "It was stupid and boring!" Oops! I wasn't expecting that reaction. I guess if a little 5-yr-old goes on a much anticipated field trip and comes home complaining that it was stupid and boring, then it must have been REALLY bad.
But then, on the other hand, considering his choice in TV shows, the play was probably REALLY good. (I don't have too much faith in a 5-yr-old's taste in entertainment)

The Remedy:
Caleb had inherited a box of Matchbox cars, and he approached me with the box and a request. Because he had a "stupid, boring" morning, he asked me to make him feel better by playing "car fights" with him. Of course I wanted nothing more than to have a contented boy on my hands, so I was more than happy to oblige him. Well the car fights began, the battle raged on, and in the end all my cars died, and Caleb declared himself the winner. The champion was at last happy, and the "stupid, boring" day was saved.

4 comments:

EMac said...

Car fights are recommended by 9 out of 10 doctors for "boring and stupid" theater shows. I bet it was a blast! You are a wonderful grandma.

Natalee said...

I love how little boys can make everything fight or shoot. And what's funnier is that it actually made himi feel better!

Mindy said...

I love the reasoning of a little boy.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for playing with him. I have learned that when it comes to Caleb, you need to let him direct the play. All that is required of us as to follow along as he prescribes. The thing is that Caleb usually does a pretty good job of inventing fun things to do. Car fights sound very interesting.

I guess Caleb is the demolition derby type rather than the theater type, and that's OK.